Herewith a few favorite bits of advice from writers:
1. Good writing is often letting go of fear. --Stephen King
2. I believe large numbers of people have at least some talent as writers and storytellers and that those talents can be strengthened and sharpened. --Stephen King
3. There is no writing without re-writing. --Donald Murray
4. Writing helps us map our interior world. --Julia Cameron
5. Writing is about honesty. It is almost impossible to be honest and boring at the same time. --Julia Cameron
6. If there's a book you really want to read, butu it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. --Toni Morrison
So, if you're a writer and still reading this, why aren't you writing? I ask this mostly in jest because my first principle of writing is that reading--paying attention to interesting sentences and the way they're constructed--is at the very heart of writing. See my earlier post, "Advice on Writing."